Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Texas Rangers mull starting rotation

How they came to the Rangers

A look at the Rangers' lineup for Game 6 of the ALCS, and how the players were acquired:

*Were minor-leaguers when acquired and finished their development in Rangers' system.

Your vote has been counted, thank you for voting.

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

By Anthony Andro and Brent Shirley bshirley@star-telegram.com

aandro@star-telegram.com

ARLINGTON -- The Texas Rangers have a few days until they have to decide on how their pitching rotation shakes out behind World Series Game 1 starter Cliff Lee.

They might take some time.

"I know three of them," manager Ron Washington said of his rotation. "Cliff Lee. Colby Lewis and C.J. Wilson. I don't have an order yet. We haven't sat down and discussed it. Those are the three guys who will pitch in the first three ballgames. We just don't have an order yet."

The first two games are in San Francisco. The Giants have a predominantly right-handed-hitting lineup.

Through the first two playoff series, the Rangers went Lee, Wilson and Lewis, and will probably stick with that in the World Series.

Lee's Wednesday start will be his first since Oct. 18. Washington said he doesn't think the extra time off will hamper Lee.

"With Cliff Lee I have no concerns about anything," Washington said.

Lee, who is 7-0 in his career in the postseason, doesn't think the extra off-days will matter.

"Obviously I was preparing to potentially pitch as if there was a game [seven with the Yankees]," Lee said. "I had been on my routine like that. Now I'm obviously pitching the first game, so I have to make the adjustment, and push it back a couple of days. It's not that big of a deal."

Guerrero in outfield

Vladimir Guerrero shagged fly balls, fielded grounders, and threw from right field at Rangers Ballpark on Sunday afternoon, working out with the rest of Texas' outfielders as he has all season.

Now the preparation could pay off. Guerrero, who was the Rangers' primary designated hitter this season, will get a chance to return to right field at San Francisco in the World Series.

"I'm ready," Guerrero said. "I've been practicing, and I always do that in the regular season."

Guerrero took the field in 18 regular-season games, making 15 starts. With no designated hitter in the National League park, Texas manager Ron Washington will have to insert Guerrero into the defensive lineup or use him as a pinch hitter.

"You better believe that we will figure out a way to get Vlad in there," Washington said. "In the starting lineup, some kind of way."

Guerrero batted .300 with 115 RBI in the regular season. While he had only one RBI in the divisional series and none in the first five games of the ALCS, Guerrero knocked in three pivotal runs in Game 6 against New York.

Washington said he plans on starting Guerrero in at least one game of the first two games in San Francisco, but hasn't decided which game.

Left-handed-hitting outfielder David Murphy would probably sit out if Guerrero starts.

"I will be ready as soon as they need me," said Guerrero, who had a .935 fielding percentage in the regular season.

Dangers of celebrating

David Murphy caught a cleat to the back of his head during the Rangers' victory dogpile after the Game 6 win over the Yankees. The minor bump didn't bother him at all.

"That's as much fun as it gets right there," Murphy said. "It's what you dream about. At that moment, we aren't holding anything back. We're just having fun and celebrating."

Murphy hopes to be in the middle of another pileup at the end of the World Series. In the meantime, he is celebrating the recent football success of his alma mater, Baylor.

"It's great to see the turnaround of that football program," said Murphy, who played baseball for the Bears from 2000 through 2002. "There were some rough years while I was there."

After its win against Kansas State on Saturday, Baylor (6-2, 3-1) is No. 25 in the AP poll and bowl eligible for the first time since 1994.

"They've done a great job and fought through it," Murphy said. "I'm proud to say I'm a Baylor Bear."

Anthony Andro, Brent Shirley 817-390-7760

Looking for comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment